Saturday, December 29, 2012

Getting Rid of Clutter: In your Gift Bins!




I don't know about you guys, but I for sure have gift bins! Well now ONE gift bin after decluttering! A lot of what is in the bin is stuff that I have won that I personally would not use, stuff that I received in my beauty subscription boxes that I would not use, and stuff I get as gifts (sad to say) that I would not use! It is not junk it is just stuff I personally would not use.

However, year after year some of the same stuff would be sitting in there. Since the holidays are over this is the perfect time to get rid of stuff you did not gift, yet again! So here is what to get rid of out of your gift bins:

1.) Anything that is broken. Yes, even if it is a little broken. I had a nice makeup kit where only the mirror was broken and all the makeup was fine. I contemplated on giving it as a gift and if I was told it was broken I would say I got it on clearance, which was true. However, no one wants something that is broken. So I took all the makeup out, threw out the case, and made up a nice little beauty box as a gift instead using the makeup that was in it.

2.) If it looks old. The packaging will speak for the gift itself. If the packaging says "2000" on the back or looks like it has been stored for a while, the gift giver will be able to tell.

3.) If it has been sitting there for over 5 years. If you have not gifted it in over five years, chances are you will not. Baby and Wedding type items are the exception and if you want to hold on to those fine. But chances are you will not remember "Oh I had a perfect item that I got rid of" another five years down the road when you actually need a gift.

I threw out anything really old or broken, and donated a lot of other things. Some of the stuff in there I would not have been proud to give as gifts and I certainly did not want to look like the cheapo at Christmas.

I am no pro at decluttering, I still have a long way to go, but if you have any questions about anything you may drop a note and/or picture of it below and I will give my honest opinion on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment